Saturday, April 16, 2011

Oct, 2005 MTC

I guess i'll jump back in time to when I first entered the Missionary Training Center (MTC) which was Oct 26, 2005. so almost 6 years ago, I started the rest of my life. But at the time, I didn't know that. I remember how weird it was to be surrounded by so many males and it was all so spiritual. I had never really been so immersed in such an environment and it was a great learning experience. I was there for 12 weeks, even though I understood Cantonese already, because I had to learn for myself what it meant to be a missionary. I recall that I was really frustrated because I wanted to leave early, at 6 weeks time, with the previous group of missionaries to Hong Kong because I felt that my Cantonese was strong enough to go. I finally learned to accept that it was a decision that was out of my hands and it wasn't a big deal because I was able to learn a lot more in the MTC than I would have been able to learn anywhere else. Spiritual wise, it was an awesome learning experience and I'm glad I had a ton of support behind me. It was interesting because I went through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanakkuh, Christmas AND New Years at the MTC. All major holidays but I guess it was fun, I joined the choir there so I could get a nap at night. I was always exhausted for some reason and I guess that's where my bad habit of falling asleep doing anything started. haha  I finally flew out and it was so weird being back in my birthplace. I had no recollection of Hong Kong except for 5 years prior when I went to my cousin's wedding and I had no idea what was going on when I was 14 and at 19 years of age.

我真沒有記憶對香港. 實在太早離開我的出生地. 對我來說是一個陌生地方. 還沒碰到什麼中文文化, 我以為而已. 我又細到大在中國人的文化, 可是我不認. 兩年後, 我終於認得我是一個中國人也是美國人. 我有兩個文化的最好重點, 還有教會的教導. 一定在我生活之中有好的方向.

Hmm, I"ll jump back in time more. lol I don't know why I keep going back and back but I never really kept a journal at all so this is my time to just record my thoughts. Before I got into the MTC, it took me almost 8 months just to get my mission call to Hong Kong. Salt Lake HQ kept losing paperwork or else it wasn't "exactly" what they wanted and because I was in California at the time, I had to call Hawaiian medical offices to get the right things faxed to me and it was really disheartening. Anywho, it obviously worked out because I went on my mission to Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment